Can't Practice My Spanish- Lo Es Huevo De Pascua Ademas?
So, as you might have guessed, I'm already fired up about this DVD during my unboxing and actual watching of Disc 2. Disc 1, I will leave for another day to gripe about but for now, I've got some things to discuss here.
Why don't we do it in bullet point form? GREAT!
- Unboxing- This movie has had gained a bit of attention for having questionable advertising designs(in the beginning many thought it was a temporary Amazon design that would be changed, and it wasn't). It's in a cardboard digit-pack and it's spine and box will get creased or bent overtime. The initial design hasn't be expanded too noticeably. What really was depressing was the advertised "64-Page Booklet" inside. The black and white only pictures aren't that great. Some have a blurry or grainy feel and only a few are really worth a view for more than a second. Maybe I need to buy another Beatles related coffee table book, because this "64-Page Booklet" won't be displayed...at all.
- The bonus disc starts(see photo above) with the obligatory language menu. Apparently, all the budget for this mammoth film can only provide three language options despite the heavy emphasis of the band being a "global phenomenon." Maybe, I want to listen to it in Spanish? Maybe I have the wrong international copy? I will never know....
- "Easter Eggs" is probably a thing of the past. Why hide extra content when you can just put out a bonus disc? I must be really old school because I started wondering what website had all the cheating codes that would unlock the full Shea Stadium footage that was shown in theatres.
- I'VE GOT BLISTERS ON MY EYES- again, a major visual problem I had in the theatre. I have astigmatism and I need to update my glasses prescription because this movie is forcing my eyes to switch from still and motion picture, film colorization, black and white images, and other image trickery. This would be fine if the visuals stuck with one medium or waited a beat before trying to express the view of "mania". I get it. The Beatles Experience feels like a fairground ride that's constantly changing. There's no reason to create DVD chapter changes with whatever bright and blinding light that they decided to alter my lenses within the first two bonus sections(it happened with "Tomorrow Never Know" playing).
- The Bonus Material started to improve half-way through- Yes, I did learn some good things about the Beatles beginnings and music contributions in the first two featurettes, but I was waiting for the 12 Mins of Uncut Performances which turned out to be as good as watching edited You Tube Clips(there was some obvious skips in the footage, maybe the extra £5 of the Blu-Ray might have corrected it...). After that, I thought it would get into repetitive material. Actually, it was refreshing listening to one-time Beatles Manager Allan Williams(despite the English-Subtitles of his audio. My eyes might be a bit dodgy, but I heard everything he said including "Pig Sh%T"(??) which was also subtitled for the audience).
- These 45-mins were more interesting and had a better mix of the American/British/Australian/Japanese accounts. Hooray for Ronnie Spector and Beryl Williams, because it was totally looking like the women interviewed were all going to give the "Fangirl" perspective(not that there's anything wrong with this, but there had to be some more balance of the content from a gender perspective.).
- The Film- Ok, I sort of lied a bit at the start of ES-Say #85. I did put disc 1 in, and like a schmuck, I went right into the chapter selections* and went to the very end when the credits roll on top of "I've Got A Feeling." I fast-forwarded with fingers-crossed(while thinking "Shea Stadium, Shea Stadium, come on!"). Nope, film ended after the credits. Time to dig out one of my "questionable DVD recordings"* and calm down because it wasn't really going to be an Easter Egg finding opportunity.
And so we come to the end of another ES-Say of NOT SAYING ANYTHING TO PAUL McCARTNEY. Tune in next week when you'll hear Nurse Meri*
saaaay- "New Wings Jewellery?- $100?- WHAT THE "$%!"
*again, another rush job with the discs
*Rhymes with "Ootlegs"
*G-D I love The Muppet Show...